Published: March 14th, 2020
Last Update: March 29th, 2020
This is an update on coronavirus 2019 (covid-19) from KARATARAKIS SA. that owns and manages Lato Boutique Hotel, Olive Green Hotel and Legacy Gastro Suites, in Heraklion, Crete. It is also a log of actions, immediately updated on any information and/or action taken on the evolution of the covid19 situation.
Following the instructions of the government's orders and national health services, we inform that our restaurants will not serve non-residents of our hotels until further notice.
We also announce that Lato Boutique Hotel will continue to operate following the government’s decision of March 19, 2020 and the decision no. 5052/24-3-2020 of the Minister of Tourism. We want to assure you that the health and safety of our employees, visitors and the local community remains our top priority. During their stay, guests of our town are kindly requested to study the necessary COVID-19 advice for travelers by the Hellenic Organization of Public Health and have completed the required information form of the General Secretariat for Civil Protection of Greece.
We also inform that Greek nationals who are abroad and wish to return to our country should contact the Greek Embassy in the country they live in.
On Monday, the 23rd March 2020, we provided the daily hotel’s guest-in-house list to the G.N.T.O Heraklion city’s service office (Greek National Tourist Organization). This will be repeated in the future whenever requested by the Hellenic Civil Protection Agency. Also, please note that as from 06:00 a.m. on Monday the 23rd March 2020, following the announced ban on unnecessary public movement throughout the Greek territory, we daily issue to our employees at Lato Boutique Hotel the adequate by law permission for them to be able to actually arrive and leave from the property.
As the novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) is having a great global impact, we feel it is important to reach out to you the actions we are taking across our properties to help keep our guests, our team members, and our community safe and healthy.
Since March 16th we have taken the following actions:
- The company's operations are limited to Lato Boutique Hotel only. We suspended the operations of Olive Green and Legacy hotels.
- We limited the operation of Lato Boutique Hotel by implementing new procedures and shifts always in cooperation with the departments.
- We do not provide any services to the non-residents (BNQ, restaurant, concierge, etc).
- Employers who can work from home ('administration staff') were immediately provided with all the technical means to do so.
- For the employees of the operational departments who will attend their daily shifts:
- Restrictions for a limited number of people in the area are respected
- All protective equipment has already been proactively provided
- We continue to constantly disinfect work surfaces as well as areas (both public and private).
- All scheduled group meetings are postponed until further notice.
- Measures are implemented so as to limit social hubs and keep the safe distance between staff (2+ meters).
- The staff meeting place in Lato is closed until the expiry of the measures. Employees take their break inside and/or outside the hotel.
- Employees who due to the measures must refrain from their work have been advised to stay at home following the instructions of the national health services.
- We reminded that the following groups should stay at home and NOT to get to work (until the measures expire):
- Older adults over 60
- People with underlying health conditions (heart disease, diabetes, etc.)
- People who have a compromised immune system
- Pregnant women
- We also reminded that the recommended daily actions that ALL of us MUST take EVERYWHERE in order to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses are:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and/or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a disposable tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing. Discard tissue immediately into a closed bin.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay at home when you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
As part of our commitment to your health and well-being, we are carefully monitoring the COVID-19 situation with regular updates and guidance from the National Public Health Organization (E.O.D.Y.) and the Hellenic Ministry of Health, as well as additional government agencies and European health care agencies.
Our teams across our properties conduct rigorous cleaning of all guest and meeting rooms and all public and back-of-house spaces several times throughout the day. Furthermore, we carefully follow cleaning, sanitation, and disinfection protocols that meet or exceed industry guidelines. These protocols, which assist with illness prevention, include:
- Regular sanitation training for our team members.
- Clearly established cleaning and disinfection cycles for all areas.
- Prominent placement of hand washing facilities and hand sanitizers.
- Fast response to off-cycle cleaning issues.
- Frequent cleaning and wash down of outdoor and high touch locations, including walkways, staircase, elevator.
Given the current concerns related to COVID-19, we are increasing our cleaning, by increasing the number of hand sanitation machines available throughout our properties.
Should this issue become a more significant concern for our area, we will be in line with the recommendations of the government health agencies.
Based on the guidance we've received and our general state of preparedness, we are confident our operations continue to be safe and ready to serve our guests.
I am very proud of our company's staff who in these unprecedented circumstances show a very high level of individual and collective commitment and responsibility. In addition to their immediate compliance with strict hygiene, movement, gathering, and coordination rules, they are exemplary hosts.
We value each guest that honors us with a visit to our destination. The city of Heraklion, Crete.
President & CEO Karatarakis Hotels & Restaurants S.A
42 Epimenidou St.,71 202 Heraklion-Crete